Evening closure of Precincts, Tues 26 – Sat 30 September
Due to the Luxmuralis light show and the need to manage large queues, public entry to the Precincts after 17:30 will only be possible for Luxmuralis ticket holders or those attending Choral Evensong.
Planning your visit? Remember to check our upcoming closures.
Registration now open
Boy Chorister auditions
On Saturday 14 October 2023, Canterbury Cathedral will host auditions for prospective boy choristers currently in years 3–7 to join the choir. No previous experience is necessary, just a love of singing.
Auditions should be booked in advance with the Cathedral Music Department. Please use the web form below to register for an audition and we will be in touch with further details.
The registration deadline is Sunday 8 October 2023.
Successful candidates will be invited to join the choir from November 2023.
The audition process
The Director of Music is looking primarily for children with a love of singing, with a flair for performing, and with a good musical ear (i.e. an ability to recognise and imitate pitch and rhythm). Whilst previous experience of singing or playing a musical instrument is welcomed, it is by no means essential.
Auditions, which are informal in nature, generally last between 10 and 15 minutes. All prospective Choristers will be asked to:
- participate in a warm up;
- sing back pitches played to them on the piano;
- sing scales (no previous experience necessary);
- clap back a rhythm clapped to them;
- read out loud (not sing!) a passage from a book, which will be given to them in the audition;
- sing the first verse of the hymn O praise ye the Lord by C.H.H. Parry. Sheet music and words to help candidates prepare this hymn can be downloaded here, and a recording of the hymn being sung at the Cathedral can be viewed here.
A conversation between Cathedral Music staff, the prospective Chorister and their parent(s)/guardian(s) forms the final part of the process.
Girl Chorister auditions
The next round of auditions for girl choristers will take place during the summer of 2024.
These will be for girls looking to join the choir when they begin year 8 in September 2024. There are currently no vacancies for girl choristers. However, if you are interested in joining the waiting list, please contact [email protected]