Join us for an afternoon to mark the 50th anniversary of the major publication by William Urry (died 1981) – a former Cathedral and Canterbury City Archivist and one of the great historians of our city. His extraordinary and pioneering ‘Canterbury under the Angevin Kings’ was published in 1967. Urry also wrote on many other aspects and periods of the city and the Cathedral’s history, regularly appearing in the local press and in Cathedral publications. His ‘Christopher Marlowe and Canterbury’ appeared posthumously in 1988.
During the afternoon Prof Louise Wilkinson of Canterbury Christ Church University will speak about Urry’s work on the medieval period and Dr Joanna Labon will speak about the age of Christopher Marlowe. Also contributing will be Urry’s son, Bill Urry, who will share some of his own memories of his father. Others who knew him will also be contributing their own reminiscences, and there will also be an opportunity to listen to some recorded interviews. Cressida Williams, Head of Archives and Library, will introduce a display of items from the collections and an archive sound recording of Urry’s voice in interview.
The insight into Urry’s work will take place in the Reading Room of the Archives, the reconstruction of which Urry oversaw after the destruction of the previous building 75 years ago, in 1942. It will end with tea and cakes and Evensong is at 17.30 hrs.
The afternoon is presented by Canterbury Cathedral Archives and Library, together with the Centre for Kent History and Heritage and the Canterbury Christopher Marlowe Museum Project. Admission to the event is free but normal Precincts charges apply for visiting the Cathedral and donations towards costs and towards the work of the Archives and Library would be welcome.
Download the poster here