Throughout the restoration works, there will be opportunities for the community and visitors to learn about the conservation work and chart the progress of the project through a variety of ways including viewing spaces, visual displays and interpretation and an online journal of work.
New interpretation and ongoing public displays of significant, rare and sometimes never before seen objects and artefacts from the Cathedral’s historic collections will tell the story of crafting the Cathedral, bringing history, pilgrimage and Cathedral to life.
The exhibits and interpretation will engage people with the Cathedral’s heritage, historic collections and conservation through a variety of aids including new multi-media guides, information and images that are fully accessible to all, and a programme of learning, training, volunteering and community engagement through:
• online access to collections, learning resources, video and publications
• schools and community outreach activities
• loan box scheme
• apprenticeships in traditional craft including stone masonry
• wide range of volunteering opportunities
• exhibitions and conferences
• family activities and workshops